Measuring Guide Index
Select the guide you require below:
- Measuring guide for curtains
- How to measure guide for roman blinds
- How to measure curtains - video
- How to measure blinds - video
- Blind safety guidance
To ensure that you curtains fit perfectly it is essential to take accurate measurements. The width of your track or pole should be measured in between the finials and the drop of the curtains will be the measure from which you would like your curtains to hang from and to. Please don’t worry about hem allowance as we will take care of that. Simply measure from the eyelet of the curtain pole ring or track runner to where you would like your curtains to drop to, usually the window sill, mid-length (in between your sill and floor) or floor length. Please note that for eyelet curtains the measurement should be taken from the top of the pole to wherever you would like your curtains to drop to. If they are floor length we recommend deducting a 1cm from the floor to allow the eyelet curtains to drape beautifully. Please check out our measuring guide for more information. We are also happy to offer advice over the telephone or by email.
Measuring guide for curtains
Measuring guide for curtains
- To find the width of the curtains that you will require measure the length of the curtain pole or track (not the window). Please ensure that the pole or track is fitted before taking this measurement.
- The track or pole should extend beyond the window on either side, to allow room for the curtains to be gathered at the side of the window.
- Use a metal tape measure as a cloth tape measure may stretch.
- Always double check your measurements.
Measuring the width
- For the width of the curtains measure from one end of the track to the other end.
- When measuring the width of the pole, take the measurement form inside of the decorative finials.
- If the tracks overlap it is important to add the overlap on to the measurements too!
- To optimise light, we recommend that the pole or track should extend 30cm on either side of the window.
Measuring the drop
- Measure from the track or the pole to the length that you require. For curtains to the window sill, measure to 1cm above the sill. For floor length curtains take the measure to 1cm above the floor.
- If you require the length of the curtains to be between the window sill and the floor, measure the drop from the track or pole to the length required.
- For curtains that will hang from the pole, measure from the base of the rings as this is where the curtains will hang from.
- For eyelet curtains measure from the top of the pole to the length required.
- For tracks measure from the top of the track, to ensure it is hidden behind the curtain.
Measuring guide for roman blinds
The Great British Interiors measuring guide to help you measure correctly for made to measure roman blinds.
Measuring for Blinds
Blinds can sit either inside or outside a window recess. It's important to decide which you want before taking your measurements.
• Measurements must be in full centimetres. Where your measurement falls in between two whole centimetres, always round down to the nearest centimetre (eg, for a measurement of 70.5cm, record 70cm).
• It is always a good idea to double check any measurements before placing your order.
Inside a Window Recess
• Measure the width at the top, middle & bottom of the recess. If there is a difference, record the smallest measurement and deduct a further 1cm to ensure that the blind does not snag on the recess when lowered.
• Measure the length at both sides and middle of the recess. If there is a difference, order using the smallest measurement to ensure the blind hangs freely. Please note that for the drop measurement you do not need to deduct anything from the shortest measurement.
Outside a Window Recess
If you would like your blind to be fitted outside the recess, please follow the measuring guide below:
• Measure the width at the top and the bottom of the window recess. Take the largest measurement and add a minimum of 5cms each side (10cms in total) for the blind to overlap the window.
• Measure from the required position above the window (we recommend approximately 6cms) down to the required length.
How to measure curtains - video
The Great British Interiors measuring guide to help you measure correctly for made to measure curtains.
How to measure blinds - video
The Great British Interiors measuring guide to help you measure correctly for made to measure blinds.
Blind safety guidance
Important information: Safety warning - Children can be strangled by loops in cords, chains, tapes and inner cords on blinds. Cords may become wrapped around a child's neck. You must keep cords and loops out of the way of babies and young children. The bottom of blind chains should hang at least 150cm above floor level. Accidents can happen when young children climb, therefore it is important that beds, cots, furniture and any other items are moved away from window covering cords. All of The Great British Curtain Co blinds are made to comply with all safety guidelines. We also take extra precautions by supplying every blind, regardless of fitting height with safety breakaway devices. Regularly check that any safety device is securely fixed and in working order. Instructions supplied when ordering blinds and on delivery should be diligently followed and babies and young children should be constantly supervised. Ensure that any curtains with cords are not accessible to children either. Once the cords on the curtain tape have been pulled to create the pleats in the top of the curtain, ensure that the ends of the cord are not left dangling and are securely pushed inside the tape at the top of the curtains. This information is provided on an educational and awareness basis. You should seek professional advice from your installer based on your situation as The Great British Curtain Co accepts no responsibility for duty of care to you based on the information given.
For more information, please download The Great British Curtain Co Blind Safety Guidance guide.